What is the oil consumption of the ULPower engine ?
Back to FAQ's
The oil consumption of the ULPower engine (and of any engine) is dependant on a number of factors:
- The general condition of the engine
- condition of cylinder walls
- condition of piston rings
- Engine oil temperature
- hotter (and thinner) oil will mean more oil gets past the piston rings to be burnt in the combustion chamber.
- hot oil will evaporate more easily and be carried out of the engine through the breather.
- Engine loading - power produced
- High power settings mean increased "blow by". This results in higher volumes and increased pressure of combustion gases inside the engine crank case. - These gases mix with the oil mist and need to be vented through the breather.
- Type of oil (presently we are using high quality 100% synthetic multi-grade oil. - Motul 300V 15W 50)
- The position in the crank case where the breather system starts.
- The overall design of the breather and eventual oil recuperation devices.
A healthy ULPower engine consumes nearly no oil at all. Specified Clearance between pistons, piston rings and cylinder wall ensures a minimum of blow by .